How to Prove Participation

Here is what to show your company when you sign up for Lifeline.

If you participate in one of these following government programs, you qualify for Lifeline:

  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
  • Medicaid
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
  • Veterans Pension or Survivors Pension
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) General Assistance
  • Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
  • Tribal head Start
  • Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations

To prove participation in one of the above programs, you must submit a document that, at a minimum, includes:

  • Your name, or the name of your benefit qualifying person (BQP);
  • The name of the Lifeline-qualifying program, such as SNAP;
  • The government or Tribal program administrator or the managed care organization (MCO) that issued the document; and
  • An issue date within the last 12 months or a future expiration date that aligns with the benefit period.

If your household income is at 135% or less of the federal poverty guidelines, you qualify for Lifeline. To prove your household income is at 135% or less of the federal poverty guidelines, you must submit one or more of the following documents:

  • The prior year’s state, federal, or Tribal tax return
  • Current income statement from an employer or paycheck stub
  • A Social Security statement of benefits
  • A Veterans Administration statement of benefits
  • A retirement/pension statement of benefits
  • An Unemployment/Workers’ Compensation statement of benefit
  • Federal or Tribal notice letter of participation in General Assistance
  • Divorce decree, child support award, or other official document containing income information

If you want to show documentation of income that does not cover a full year, such as current pay stubs, you must show documentation that covers three months in a row within the past twelve months.