If you have a question about Lifeline, try calling your company first.
Your company is responsible for helping resolve any issues with your Lifeline service. To call them, look up your company’s contact information here.
But if your company can’t help (or doesn’t answer), contact the Lifeline Support Center or use one of the other options below.
Top 10 Lifeline Help Topics
Here are the top ten reasons Lifeline customers need help, and who to call or how to find a solution.
What to Do
|How do I sign up for Lifeline?||Apply through a participating company in your area.|
|My application was denied||Most of the time, your company can explain why you were denied and how to fix it.|
|Problem with my bill or service||For lost or broken handsets, buying more minutes, ending service, or your bill, contact your company.|
|My company won’t help me||Call the Lifeline Support Center, and we will try to help you get in touch.|
|My company says I already have Lifeline, but I don’t||Call the Lifeline Support Center to find out which company thinks you are their customer. Then, contact the company you want to sign up with, and ask them to transfer your Lifeline.|
|I can’t sign up because someone at my address already gets Lifeline||Contact your company and ask for a “household worksheet” to show that more than one “economic household” lives at your address.|
|Renew/Recertify my discount||Each year your company may require you to recertify your Lifeline eligibility. Contact your company to find out when and how to do this.|
|Change my company||You can switch Lifeline companies at any time. To move your benefit, contact the new company and ask them for help transferring your Lifeline benefit.|
|Am I eligible?||If you participate in assistance programs like SNAP, Medicaid, certain other programs, or earn a certain income, you are eligible for Lifeline.|
|My service was turned off||Contact your company for help, or learn more about reasons why service was turned off.|
When the Lifeline Support Center Can Help
The Lifeline Support Center can help…
- Find companies that offer Lifeline-supported service
- Look up which company you are using
- If your company refuses to help you, or is unresponsive
- If you have a question about how the program works
The Lifeline Support Center cannot help you apply for Lifeline, buy more minutes, sort out your bill, replace lost or broken handsets, or get specific information about your service plan.
To contact the Lifeline Support Center, call (800) 234-9473 Monday through Sunday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. ET (press 1 for English or press 2 for Spanish), or send an email. You can also use one of the other options below.
If your Company and the Lifeline Support Center Can’t Help
More options to get help:
- If your company won’t help – Call your state’s utility regulator to complain.
- Report Fraud:
- Consumer fraud – If you know someone who is fraudulently receiving Lifeline, or is receiving more than one Lifeline benefit, contact the FCC’s Lifeline Fraud Tip Line at (855) 455-8477 or via email.
- Company fraud – If a phone/internet company is committing waste, fraud, or abuse, please report it on USAC’s Whistleblower Alert page.
- More consumer help –Call the FCC Customer Help Center at (888) 225-5322 if you could not resolve the problem with your company, state, or USAC. TTY users call (888) 835-5322, and video phone users call (844) 432-2275.